• Apache Ant is a Java based automated build tool from Apache Software Foundation.
• ANT stands for Another Neat Tool.
• Ant scripts are written using plain XML.
• Ant is good at automating complicated repetitive tasks.
Need for a Build Tool
• To reduce amount of time to build and deployment process like Compiling the code, packaging the binaries, deploying the binaries to the test server, testing the changes.
• To automate and simplify the above tasks, Apache Ant is useful.
Step 1. Download Apache Ant Zip file from https://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi
Step 2. Unzip the zip file to a convenient location
Step 3. After unzip you will see the following files.
Step 4. Create a new environment variable called ANT_HOME that points to the Ant installation folder.
a. Right click on My Computer
b. Click Advace tab click on Enviornment Variables
c. In System Variables New
d. Write variable name as ANT_HOME.
e. Copy apache ANT installation path in variable value field.
f. Click on ok.
Step 5. Ensure that the JAVA_HOME environment variable is set to the folder where your JDK is installed.
• Copy the installed jdk path on your system in variable value.
Step 6. Append the path to the Apache Ant batch file to the PATH environment variable. In our case this would be the c:\apache-ant-1.8.2-bin\bin folder.
a. Select path variable in system variable click on Edit
b. add semicolon(;) at the end
c. Copy and paste apache ANT bin directory path next to semicolon